Wow – long time, no post! Not that I haven’t been busy! Jim and I went to Paducah and came home with a boatload of fabric! One piece I wanted to make is using a pattern by Kaffe Fassett, and I even used one or two of his fabrics for this. At first, I wasn’t sure what to think of it, but now I am attached to this little quilt.
It is made of three different sizes of squares, put together in an interesting way. I wanted it to be mainly yellows and oranges, but found that as I worked, other colors were needed to provide some contrast. Still, it is very ME.
I made it at 2/3 the original size, and it is long an skinny. If I do it again, I will make it either a bit wider, or a bit shorter. The watermelon fabric that we bought at Eleanor Burn’s store, Quilt in a Day, really makes this piece!
Because my home is small, I need to start quilting smaller things – there is no space left for big quilts unless I am making them for someone else. So I’ve decided to go into more embellishment on smaller pieces.
Free-motion stitching is a method of enhancing quilts with thread, adding texture and other visual interest to art works. So I took a photo from my own collection of the hosta growing out in the front yard last fall. The green color is draining out leaving a beautiful buttery yellow. Every time I see hosta I admire the veins as being a great pattern for stitching! The photo was printed on a large sheet of printable fabric, and then I added some free-motion stitching, going over the veining of the leaves.
The piece is not yet finished, but I am so happy with these results that I will think of some good way to make it into a piece for show.
Yes. On Quilting Arts, Judy Coats Perez showed how to use tea bags in art quilts! After they have been used, dried, opened and pressed, they can be drawn on or colored. They are a very filmy sort of paper/fabric, and can be affixed to fabric with a matte medium and a foam brush. The same artist even figured out how to run them through a printer (attached firmly to paper) and print on them!
So when my wonderful friend Sherry was here recently, we got out tea bags, paper, muslin, water soluble crayons, markers, and an old ironing board cover printed with flowers. I added some free motion stitching, and a few dots of gold foil, and – Voila!
The water soluble crayons are another thing I learned about on Quilting Arts, and I like them very much. You can shade with them, color over color, and then with a paint brush just dipped in water, blend the colors together. Lots of fun.
Jim and I watch Quilting Arts regularly, and are constantly amazed at the creative techniques people present. One of my favorite guests is a classy Italian woman named Ana Buzzalino. Her quilting designs – and designs in general – are just thrilling to me. So I tried a process that she suggested.
I used several pieces of fabrics for the top that I felt worked well together, as well as representing some kind of pond or lake. I layered them on batting and a backing, sewing through all three layers at the same time.
Then I looked online for a silhouette of cattails. I printed it out the size I wanted, and then put a piece of freezer paper on top, and traced the outline. I cut out the freezer paper, and pressed it, shiny side down, onto the fabric. Freezer paper will stick, so I could then stitch around the outline of the cattails.
From there, I did an echo of the cattails, which means another line of stitching about a quarter inch from the first. I also added a little free motion quilting in some of the layers of the “pond”. Then I filled in the first outline of the cattails themselves with black acrylic paint.
Binding and a way to hang it, and voila! The only thing I would do differently next time is to use a matte finish paint. Otherwise, I am happy with this experiment.