Jim and I watch Quilting Arts regularly, and are constantly amazed at the creative techniques people present. One of my favorite guests is a classy Italian woman named Ana Buzzalino. Her quilting designs – and designs in general – are just thrilling to me. So I tried a process that she suggested.
I used several pieces of fabrics for the top that I felt worked well together, as well as representing some kind of pond or lake. I layered them on batting and a backing, sewing through all three layers at the same time.
Then I looked online for a silhouette of cattails. I printed it out the size I wanted, and then put a piece of freezer paper on top, and traced the outline. I cut out the freezer paper, and pressed it, shiny side down, onto the fabric. Freezer paper will stick, so I could then stitch around the outline of the cattails.
From there, I did an echo of the cattails, which means another line of stitching about a quarter inch from the first. I also added a little free motion quilting in some of the layers of the “pond”. Then I filled in the first outline of the cattails themselves with black acrylic paint.
Binding and a way to hang it, and voila! The only thing I would do differently next time is to use a matte finish paint. Otherwise, I am happy with this experiment.